In a world filled with moral ambiguity and shifting values, the question of what it means to be a good person often arises. As Christians, we turn to the Bible for guidance on how to live a life that pleases God and reflects His divine qualities. Let’s explore what the Bible teaches about being a good person through God’s eyes, accompanied by relevant verses that shed light on this important topic.
- Love One Another: One of the central teachings of the Bible is to love one another as God has loved us. Jesus himself emphasized this in the New Testament.
- John 13:34-35 (ESV) “A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. By this, all people will know that you are my disciples if you have love for one another.”
- Show Kindness and Compassion: God desires us to be kind and compassionate towards others, reflecting His own nature of love and mercy.
- Ephesians 4:32 (ESV) “Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.”
- Practice Humility: Humility is a virtue highly regarded in the Bible. Humbling ourselves before God and others is a key aspect of being a good person.
- Philippians 2:3-4 (ESV) “Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others.”
- Seek Justice: God is just, and He calls us to act justly and defend the rights of the oppressed.
- Micah 6:8 (ESV) “He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?”
- Practice Forgiveness: Forgiveness is a cornerstone of Christian faith, and it is vital in our journey to becoming good people.
- Colossians 3:13 (ESV) “Bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive.”
- Walk in Faith: Living a life of faith and trusting in God’s guidance is central to being a good person through God’s eyes.
- Hebrews 11:6 (ESV) “And without faith, it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him.”
Being a good person in God’s eyes involves loving one another, showing kindness and compassion, practicing humility, seeking justice, forgiving, and walking in faith. These principles, rooted in the teachings of the Bible, guide us on our journey to become better individuals and reflect God’s love and character in our lives. By aligning our actions with God’s Word, we can truly be good people in His sight.